Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Some assembly required

When I am fortunate enough to speak to a group of people I always try and set the tone with a reminder that we are all human and that I don't consider myself better than anyone, even a sinner who is lost in a disgusting pattern of sin.  In today's society and many times in the church we create divisions amongst ourselves. More than the obvious ones of race and social standing, like "I'm a believer and your not". We often feel most comfortable around people with a similar belief or life. Now that God has done a 360 with my own life I find I am the most attracted to people who are LOST! Yes, it is rewarding to disciple new believers and fellowship amongst our fellow brothers and sisters but if statistics are right there are 150,000 souls a day on a one-way journey to hell. Let's say the numbers are wrong and there is only 5,000 due to us not knowing the hearts of men and women only our opinions based on one's behavior and life patterns, one is too many.  Back to the point, I didn't get to where I am today by a strike of lightning or a instant winner prize in a cracker jack box, I got here with the grace and mercy of God himself. Anyone who accepts Christ as their Savior begins a journey of sanctification. Justification is finished the moment you receive Him, you are worthy, forgiven, and justified through what God has already achieved through His Son. We can't continue in the defeating cycle of sin, guilt, and shame if we are to make a new start.  If we are apart from God, we can start by listening to our God-given conscience to guide us back to a place where we can contemplate His ways and plan for us.  If I had to pick one thing I am thankful for about being a Christian I would choose the convicting presence of the Holy Spirit in my life. Without it, I would seek death and destruction again. I am a rebel, a do it yourself kind of hard-head. I can handle the lure of the major sins, I know better and also the result, its the hidden and seemingly small things that chip away at my spirit and my walk with God that has the power to lead others to the ultimate freedom.  Ephesians 4 :14 says, " That we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, but speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head; Christ.
Recovery perspective :  With sobriety, I am able to become increasingly aware of my sinful ways and weakness so that I can respond to sin with quick repentance. As we do so, our desire to to obey intensifies, and the attraction to sin lessens.                                           Blessings, Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment